Re: [avr-chat] HowTo split a program into several files ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] HowTo split a program into several files ?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:34:26 +0200

Hi David, Eric, Joerg,

David, I will look into this .depend thing but it seems a bit obcure to
me at the moment and since it works just fine with it commented out, I
will allow myself a few days before plunging into the Makefile
again ! ;-)

Eric, had a look at the page you pointed me to on Joerg's site, looks
like it is meant precisely to help newb like me to create proper
Makefiles for their project, so I will definitely have a look at it !
I am nonetheless looking forward to your IDE if just to benefit a
project manager that will look after all the Makefile details for
us ! ;-) I also hope that the Linux port will come very soon after the
initial Windows release... I am very impatient to see what it looks like
and what it can do to simplify the routine tasks.

I also gathered that your WinAVR was a lot more than what I thought it
was. I thought it was a little program purely to download code into the
AVR, but after reading Joerg'sz comment on this web page, it seems it
provides a lot more. So, for a change, I will reboot the machine and
start Widows, god it's been 15 months, I wonder if I still know how to
operate it ?! ;-)

David, "avr-gcc --version" returns 3.4.3, so it's not that old is it ?
Anyway, as Joerg said, I simply replaced dwarf by -g, did a make clean
then make again, and the list file now indeed shows the C
statements ! :-) I just love them. Without them, I feel like the C
compiler is serving me a huge unreadable black box, trying to hide some
ugly bloated code from me or something, and I feel out of control, go
figure ! I think I have become truly addicted to this mixed C/asm list
file....

As for my "vanilla" Linux, although I came accross this term a few
times, I am still not sure exactly what it means. Does that means a
"DIY/home made" distro, or just the oppopsite, a "Bone stock/standard"
distro ?  At any rate, I use a bone standard "Ubuntu" distro, which is
based in Debian, so most of the packages in the Ubuntu repo are synched
from Debian ones.
This mean I have a slightly old version of avr-gcc it seems (3.4.3
instead of 3.4.4 ?), as well as a slighlty old version of avr-libc,
something like 1.2.3 I think (how to check for sure ?), and some
obsolete packages like avrp and avrprog, and siply no avrdude at all,
which I had to compile from source !

So I would sat that Debian is not very AVR friendly lol ! ;-)

Regards,

--
Vince