Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:58:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Juergen Harms <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have had a look at the sourcefourge avrdude gui project.

Don't stick too much on it.  It was completely decoupled from avrdude
itself, mainly because the initial developer didn't want to bother the
avrdude project with any reorg requests (like the library splitoff
that has now been done) in order to support his ambitions.

Also, it IMHO uses a GUI template generator that is only available on
Win32 platforms.  I also remember that the generated templates had
very detailed ideas about e.g. the length of strings, so already a
target system chosing a different font than the original one would
truncate strings, let alon internationalization ideas.

I'd rather recommend starting from scratch, basing the project on
avrdude's (internally-generated) backend library, and integrate it
into the avrdude build itself.  I would consider it a legitimate
request to implement some more structure into avrdude as well...
(like separate source directories for the backend library and the
current CLI main()).  The only gripe with that is that CVS is poor on
moving files around.  Alas, last time I checked, there weren't any
apparent plans on savannah to offer SVN as an alternative to CVS.