Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:25:52 +0200

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:40:02 -0700
"James A. R. Koehler" <address@hidden> wrote:

> My two cents worth; I'd really like to see a GUI for handling avrdude.
>
> I'm an avrdude user who uses it very infrequently because I work with other
> micros as well as the AVR series.  avrdude is a great program and I greatly
> appreciate the work of the maintainers who do an admirable job of keeping it
> up to date.  I also have no problem with the command line and, since the
> avrdude manual is very clear and well written, I have never had any
> difficulty in using avrdude.
>
> But ...  my memory is REALLY bad and re-acquainting myself with avrdude's
> syntax is just another chore I have to do when using an AVR micro every six
> months or year or so.  That time isn't entirely wasted but I begrudge
> spending it when I'm in the middle of something else.  This is especially so
> when the project is just a simple one and involves programming a micro just a
> few times.  Then the time spent in re-reading the avrdude manual becomes a
> greater fraction of the  whole effort.

I can relate to that as well ! I started my AVR project almost 2 years
ago now, but there have been many long periods of inactivity, and every
time I resumed work on the thing, I had to dig again in the man page of
avrdude, as well as that of subersion.
So an enhanced UI could be nice in that use case. However, I say UI not
GUI, because I would prefer a ncurses based UI, so it can fit in my
workflow which is all in terminal windows.
Hopefully it's possible to lay bith a ncurses or graphical UI on top of
avrdude ?
In the meantime, I will keep re-reading and re-reading man pages ;-)

Regards,

--
Vince, loosy memory too...