Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:33:22 -0400

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:25:52PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> I can relate to that as well ! I started my AVR project almost 2
> years ago now, but there have been many long periods of inactivity,
> and every time I resumed work on the thing, I had to dig again in
> the man page of avrdude, as well as that of subersion.  So an
> enhanced UI could be nice in that use case. However, I say UI not
> GUI, because I would prefer a ncurses based UI, so it can fit in my
> workflow which is all in terminal windows.  Hopefully it's possible
> to lay bith a ncurses or graphical UI on top of avrdude ?  In the
> meantime, I will keep re-reading and re-reading man pages ;-)

I wouldn't discourage someone from doing it, but I personally don't
see the point.  The command-line is very easy to use, certainly by
comparison to gcc/ld, yet we don't see GUI interfaces to those.  Just
code a target in your makefile and forget about it.

Personally, trying to set fuses in AVRStudio is an exercise in
frustration for me, even aside from that I rarely ever use Windows.
I'd much rather just specify the hex value for the fuse on the command
line, even if it means taking a peek at the datasheet. :-)

avrdude -p m128 -V -U lfuse:w:0x3f:m

Done.  Code that in the Makefile and never worry about it again.
That's what we do with the gcc/linker invocations, right?

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO LLC