Re: [Axiom-developer] Which source distributions should we list?

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Which source distributions should we list?
Date: 25 May 2007 08:01:18 -0500

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| I fear that since build-improvements is cloned from the current
| trunk and wh-sandbox is cloned from build-improvements, there
| might be some considerable loss in "mergibility" if we were to
| just "pull the rug out from under them" so as to speak and
| wholesale replace trunk with the contents of the current git
| repository. Perhaps those more  familiar with the details of
| SVN could comment?

Tim does not seem to trust automation, so he wants to apply
patches by hand himself -- leading him to forget to apply changes, but
that is OK I guess.

As for the active branches, the current chaos implies that people
working on the branches have to come up with manual creation of
patches (instead of getting them automated, or at least partially).
That is what will happen, so I don't see much option.  The old Gold,
Silver branches can be safely deleted.  There does not seem to be much
history in them to preserve -- except how we got into this mess.

Axiom.build-improvements and Axiom.wh-sandbox will deal with the
manufaturing of necessary patches as they can.

That will leave us with an interesting structure of the SVN repository
at SF, which is a good summary of the current state of the Axiom
project.  I hope archeologists and historians in open source will
learn something.

| Frankly I am not sure at all how we should manage the
| integration of the SVN-based repositories with Tim's new
| git version of Silver. I was especially disappointed to see
| that in the creation of the new git repository Tim has
| removed all of the prior revision history. :-(

I think Tim has been doing regular commit to his branch.  So, I don't
think we should mess with it.

For Google mirror, I don't know whether we want to preserve the
history there as opposed to regularly putting a snapshot there.
This is not a serious suggestion.