Re: [Axiom-developer] Which source distributions should we list?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Which source distributions should we list?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:44:11 +0200

Axiom.build-improvements and Axiom.wh-sandbox will deal with the
manufaturing of necessary patches as they can.

What do we have on Sourceforge?

trunk this was some snapshot of the
build-improvements   branched from trunk
wh-sandbox           branched from build-improvements (r263)
gdr-sandbox          branched from build-improvements (r335)
daly                 branched from trunk (r6)

woodpecker:~>svn log -v https://axiom.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom -r6
r6 | (no author) | 2005-01-05 00:59:09 +0100 (Wed, 05 Jan 2005) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   A /branches/daly (from /trunk:5)
   D /branches/daly/CVSROOT

This commit was manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'daly'.

So to automate things, it would be best if Tim gets his branch in sync with trunk and trunk will become the main line.

The first (automated) merge of build-improvement back to trunk will probably be terribly hard, because Tim did not track which (svn) revisions he took from Gaby's and Waldek's branch to apply them to the daly branch.

Since silver is just a copy of the tla archive axiom--main--1--patch-50, I think it can be completely removed. Tim is now trying to make daly to the silver branch.

I still don't see a good structure. And I actually will not open up any new branch until I finally know what the mainline is and how the development goes.

I somehow don't like to create and sent patches. Why do we have version control systems then? Even if SVN is controversial, what is so hard to let the trunk as sourceforge play the role of the Axiom mainline?
(Gaby and Waldek are currently doing almost all of the commits.)

Yes, it's the old non-distributed development. But the Axiom team has no Linus. In fact, kernel development centers around Linus, right? So there is no very big difference at the moment for the 3 or 4 active Axiom developers (who actually commit) to work centralized or distributed.

We can change that later if we have thousands of contributors. But until then we should do more to attract developers.

Ralf