Re: OJE project

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: OJE project
Date: 04 Apr 2001 22:28:17 -0400

address@hidden (Kevin A. Burton) writes:

> Yann SECQ <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Nic Ferrier wrote:
> > > What am I suggesting exactly?
> > > That we create a new project (or a subproject of Classpath) for the
> > > parts of the OJE project that are okay for release. This is:
> > >
> > > - activation spec classes (no implementation yet)
> > > - javamail spec classes (not yet finished)
> > > - imap provider
> > > - smtp provider
> > > - pop3 provider (if I can persuade address@hidden)
> > > - media spec classes
> > > - infobus spec classes
> >
> > It seems that some code could be found at :
> >     http://jakarta.apache.org/james
> > for all the JavaMail stuff.
>

> None of this code is GPL... It is all APL and thus we can't use it.  The GPL
> and
> the APL are not compatible.

The APL should be compatible with our license.  Further I would rather
not duplicate work with regards to these extensions.  There is no need
to produce another set of the same libraries under GPL terms if they
exist already under the APL in this case.  It's important to remember
these are not really "core" to J2SE and the code licensed under the
APL is still free software.

My $0.02,
Brian
--