Re: OJE project

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: OJE project
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:43:26 +0100

>>> Brian Jones <address@hidden> 05-Apr-01 3:28:17 AM >>>

>The APL should be compatible with our license.

It's not though is it? I didn't think they'd removed the advertising
clause?

>Further I would rather not duplicate work with regards
>to these extensions.  There is no need to produce another
>set of the same libraries under GPL terms if they exist already
>under the APL in this case.

Gosh. How many free java libs are there? (only joking)

>It's important to remember these are not really "core" to
>J2SE and the code licensed under the APL is still free
>software.

It's okay Brain. There is no other implementation of any of the
deliverables of the OJE libs.

The original poster was under the mistaken belief that the James
project included javamail IMAP and POP providers. It does not.

In fact it does not include any javamail components as it is a
project to build a mail server around their own API (mailets, somewhat
related to servlets).

OJE includes a lot more than javamail. It is also a free version of:

- activation: the java bean activation framework (we don't have
implementations yet)
- jaxp: the XML parser abstractor (we will soon have an
implementation)
- infobus: beans communication API (I don't know much about this)

There is also some work done on JavaMedia. I'm not desperately
interested in working on that one I have to say... it will probably
stay on the back burner until someone interested comes along.

I hope this assuages the fears of people here... I very much want the
blessing of the perople in the Classpath project in this endeavour.

Nic