Re: OJE project

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: OJE project
Date: 04 Apr 2001 22:45:34 -0700

Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kevin A. Burton) writes:
>
> > Yann SECQ <address@hidden> writes:

> > > It seems that some code could be found at :
> > >   http://jakarta.apache.org/james
> > > for all the JavaMail stuff.
> >

> > None of this code is GPL... It is all APL and thus we can't use it.  The
> > GPL and
> > the APL are not compatible.
>
> The APL should be compatible with our license.

Not according to Stallman.

> Further I would rather
> not duplicate work with regards to these extensions.

Freedom isn't free.  :).  If we can't use the code... we can't use the code :(

> There is no need to produce another set of the same libraries under GPL terms
> if they exist already under the APL in this case.  It's important to remember
> these are not really "core" to J2SE and the code licensed under the APL is
> still free software.

Still Free Software but not compatible with the GPL.  The GPL says it is
compatible with subsets of the license not with additional features.  The APL
adds the licensing clause so you are out of luck :(

Sorry... I don't like it either but I don't make the rules :(

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Cell: 408-910-6145 URL: http://relativity.yi.org ICQ: 73488596

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore