Re: OJE project

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: OJE project
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:10:12 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:45:34PM -0700, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:
> > >
> > > None of this code is GPL... It is all APL and thus we can't use it.  The
> > > GPL and
> > > the APL are not compatible.
> >
> > The APL should be compatible with our license.
>
> Not according to Stallman.

The APL is compatible with our license (as used by Classpath, the GPL plus
a special linking exception). But it isn't compatible with pure GPL.
The APL adds several restrictions on naming the derived work or even using
the name Apache (which would be better done in a real trademark license IMHO).
The latest version of the APL did drop the advertisment clause. But the
trademark issues still remain. It is said that RMS and Brian Behlendorf
are working on these issues.

Cheers,

Mark
--