classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Activation implementation

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Activation implementation
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 23:43:47 +0000

>Out of curiosity, what alternatives are out there? I've looked around
>on occasion, but because Javamail is there and it does work, it seems
>to enjoy something of a monopoly.

Nonsense. Everyone _and_ his dog has a mail API. Do a search and you
pull out loads.

Last time I looked there were also quite a few people doing providers,
but no one doing an IMAP provider as far as I remember.

>This is the second biggest benefit people can derive from ClasspathX,
>IMO. It seems like to be an effective part of the JCP you need to
>have a lot of clout. If the FSF has some good implementations of the
>more important APIs, then it gains some of that clout and hence free
>software developers and users start to get a voice in Java's
>direction.

David Brownell and I are both members of different JSR expert teams
(I'm on the servlet one, David is on the xml one I think) and have
been frustrated by the lack of clout the FSF seems to have in the java
world.

The FSF's java efforts have been porrly focused. ClasspathX is a part
of the movement to change that.

Nic