classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Activation implementation

From: dog
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Activation implementation
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:23:24 +0100

dixit David Brownell:
A see a few classes in javax.mail.internet that do that
(looking just at the GNU classes).  Several of those look
like cleaned-up versions of some APIs I recall living in
the "sun.*" hierarchy back in JDK 1.0 days, before folk
at Sun started to push "javax.*" for all such APIs that
were widely needed but not worth the "java.*" costs.
Particularly the "base64" and "uuencode" I/O support!

the javamail api is basically written that way, look at the MimeUtiltity class. it was make them inner classes of MimeUtility (difficult to manage), make them package-visibility in javax.mail.internet (lost to everything but that one implementation), or put them somewhere separate as public classes that could be used in other apps (http mime handling, for instance, which is where the base64 streams come from, although andrew's uuencode streams would probably never be used outside nntp).

if it is deemed righteous we could put the stream classes into some javax.mail.io package. i didn't think we were allowed to add or subtract from the api though - if we were it would have been more sensible to create shared mime implementation support classes that could be used both by http and mail agents.
--
dog
zx750-p5 sl-mille ukrmma#18