Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:44:45 -0500

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for your help. As it turns out, I simply forgot to run the last
> step that actually installs boost 1.51 after building it - that
> explains why boost 1.52 got installed with uhd. I have now rebuilt
> 1.51, deactivated 1.52 and installed 1.51. Everything is ok now and I
> installed gnuradio without problems.
>
> I used: "sudo port install gnuradio +orc +uhd"
> During configuration I saw the message:
>
> WARNING: GNU Radio's VOLK component (which handles vector optimized
> instructions and routines) compiles best when using GCC.  The selected
> compiler is CLANG, which will result in a fully functioning GNU Radio
> install but the VOLK component will not utilize the CPU's
> capabilities.
>
> Do you have any experience whether this can be a real performance
> issue and what I can do to use gcc instead of clang?

You're welcome!  I'm glad you've got GNU Radio installed on Mac OS X via
MacPorts.

I'll leave the performance question up to those who wrote Volk.  I'm guessing
that if Volk keys on GCC for optimizations, then using clang will disable most
optimizations.  But, I'm no expert here.

You can select a compiler suite by appending to the usual "port" commands
"configure.compiler=XXX", where XXX is one of:

gcc-3.3 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.2 llvm-gcc-4.2 clang apple-gcc-4.0 apple-gcc-4.2
macports-gcc-4.1 macports-gcc-4.2macports-gcc-4.3 macports-gcc-4.4
macports-gcc-4.5 macports-gcc-4.6 macports-gcc-4.7 macports-gcc-4.8
macports-clang-2.9 macports-clang-3.0 macports-clang-3.1 macports-clang-3.2

Note that "clang" is Apple's installed clang, no matter the version (could be
2.1, 3.1, 4.1; maybe others).  If you're running on Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8, I'd
recommend using the following:

  sudo port install gnuradio +orc +uhd configure.compiler=llvm-gcc-4.2

to get Volk using a compatible GCC & thence the optimizations therein.  You can
find out a little (but, not much) more about this topic at <
http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.configure > and then scroll down to
or search for "configure.compiler".

Hope this helps! - MLD