Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:34:40 -0500

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
Albert - Tom (as a VOLK developer) has some good advice:

(1) Try installing GNU Radio without the +orc variant, and seeing what the configure output is; combined with:

(2) Run "volk_profile" after you've installed GNU Radio.  It will test all of the kernels and create a $HOME/.volk/volk_config file.  If you look in that file, it will tell you what architectures are to be used for each kernel.

Tom - I'm wondering what "volk_profile" is doing?  It looks like it's running through (all?) available kernels for a given algorithm and finding the "best" (fastest?) one.  Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct. It runs each proto-kernel available on your machine and compares how long it took to execute them, then it stores the fastest version in the config file. This is then read when your program initializes a new VOLK kernel to find the right one to use.

On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is the same command as above, or am I missing something?

The differences in Albert's -original- install command and mine is the "-d": enable debug output; and "configure" instead of "install".  My goal is to have the GNU Radio configuration stage printout what it is doing within the MacPorts environment; one can then cherry pick the specific lines related to VOLK (architectures / machines) and send them to the list for the VOLK developers.  I have no practical developer knowledge of VOLK, but I'm sure there are folks on this list who do and can make sense of the output.

ACK.

So, for my ~2009 MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo and MacPorts GCC 4.7 (latest), I get:
____________________
-- CPU width is 64 bits, Overruled arch 32
-- Available architectures: generic;64;3dnow;abm;popcount;mmx;sse;sse2;orc;norc;sse3;ssse3;sse4_a;sse4_1;sse4_2;avx
-- Available machines: generic_orc;sse2_64_mmx_orc;sse3_64_orc;ssse3_64_orc;sse4_a_64_orc;sse4_1_64_orc;sse4_2_64_orc;avx_64_mmx_orc

On Albert's computer with Quad-core Core i7 and similar software, he gets:
-- CPU width is 64 bits, Overruled arch 32
-- Available architectures: generic;64;3dnow;abm;mmx;sse;sse2;orc;norc;sse3;ssse3;sse4_a;sse4_1;sse4_2
-- Available machines: generic_orc;sse2_64_mmx_orc;sse3_64_orc;ssse3_64_orc;sse4_1_64_orc

- MLD

Tom