Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Albert Chun-Chieh Huang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:17:44 +0800

Michael Dickens <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Thanks for your help. As it turns out, I simply forgot to run the last
>> step that actually installs boost 1.51 after building it - that
>> explains why boost 1.52 got installed with uhd. I have now rebuilt
>> 1.51, deactivated 1.52 and installed 1.51. Everything is ok now and I
>> installed gnuradio without problems.
>>
>> I used: "sudo port install gnuradio +orc +uhd"
>> During configuration I saw the message:
>>
>> WARNING: GNU Radio's VOLK component (which handles vector optimized
>> instructions and routines) compiles best when using GCC.  The selected
>> compiler is CLANG, which will result in a fully functioning GNU Radio
>> install but the VOLK component will not utilize the CPU's
>> capabilities.
>>
>> Do you have any experience whether this can be a real performance
>> issue and what I can do to use gcc instead of clang?
>

> You're welcome!  I'm glad you've got GNU Radio installed on Mac OS X via
> MacPorts.
>
> I'll leave the performance question up to those who wrote Volk.  I'm guessing
> that if Volk keys on GCC for optimizations, then using clang will disable
> most optimizations.  But, I'm no expert here.
>
> You can select a compiler suite by appending to the usual "port" commands
> "configure.compiler=XXX", where XXX is one of:
>
> gcc-3.3 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.2 llvm-gcc-4.2 clang apple-gcc-4.0 apple-gcc-4.2
> macports-gcc-4.1 macports-gcc-4.2macports-gcc-4.3 macports-gcc-4.4
> macports-gcc-4.5 macports-gcc-4.6 macports-gcc-4.7 macports-gcc-4.8
> macports-clang-2.9 macports-clang-3.0 macports-clang-3.1 macports-clang-3.2
>
> Note that "clang" is Apple's installed clang, no matter the version (could be
> 2.1, 3.1, 4.1; maybe others).  If you're running on Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8,
> I'd recommend using the following:
>
>   sudo port install gnuradio +orc +uhd configure.compiler=llvm-gcc-4.2
>
> to get Volk using a compatible GCC & thence the optimizations therein.  You
> can find out a little (but, not much) more about this topic at <
> http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.configure > and then scroll down
> to or search for "configure.compiler".
>
> Hope this helps! - MLD

Hi, I tried to compile gnuradio 3.6.3 on MacPorts with the following
command:

sudo port install gnuradio +docs +grc +orc +python27 +qtgui +sdl +swig
+uhd +wxgui configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7

GNU Radio was installed successfully on my quad-core Core i7, but when I
execute GNU Radio Companion signal flow, I see the following messages:

_____ Message _____
Mac OS; Clang version 4.1 ((tags/Apple/clang-421.11.66)); Boost_105100;
UHD_003.005.000-0-unknown

Using Volk machine: generic_orc
gr-osmosdr supported device types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd
Using device #0 Compro VMU6xx SN: 0020
Found Elonics E4000 tuner
Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
>>> gr_fir_ccf: using SSE
>>> gr_fir_fff: using SSE
>>> gr_fir_fcc: using SSE

>>> Done
_____ Message _____

How can I make gnuradio and volk be optimzed for Core i7? generic_orc
seems not best optimized for core i7.

Thanks in advace!

Sincerely,

Albert