Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:43:44 -0500

On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm wondering what "volk_profile" is doing?  It looks like it's running
>> through (all?) available kernels for a given algorithm and finding the
>> "best" (fastest?) one.  Is this correct?
>>
> Yes, that's correct. It runs each proto-kernel available on your machine and
> compares how long it took to execute them, then it stores the fastest version
> in the config file. This is then read when your program initializes a new
> VOLK kernel to find the right one to use.

Ah; OK.  Sort of like what FFTW does for fft's, but probably with its own
twist.  So if the "volk_config" file exists, VOLK reads it and uses it to
determine which kernel to use for a given VOLK algorithm instantiation.  [Is
there a proper VOLK-like name for a "VOLK algorithm instantiation"?]  If this
file does not exist, how does VOLK pick the kernel?  Is this info somewhere in
a Wiki?  I haven't looked, so forgive me if I'm asking FAQ's. - MLD