Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:28:59 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:
> -gui should provide one (and only one) DEFAULT standard, good, and
> consistent interface style.  Other interface styles are welcome with the
> clause that they should be off by default, and the code reasonably good,
> maintainable, well-integrated and non-destructive of other parts.

No, -gui should provide one, and only one, good and consistent
interface. Anything else is a non-standard theme, and while we shouldn't
deliberately prevent people from using themes (and should keep
themability in mind when designing things internally, although it's a
relatively low priority), the themes should not be part of -gui.

> It's a very difficult balance as there are people with very different
> expectations and desires taking part or having interest in the project.
>
> Some think that keeping to the NeXTstep-ish look&feel is a mistake on our
> part and that we should be moving towards a more OSX-ish look&feel.

Yes, so we need to be up-front and honest about what our goals are. (A
mosx theme is an extra bad idea, though; comes with a legal mess in
addition to the technical mess.)

- Alexander Malmberg