Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Serg Stoyan
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:33:50 +0300

Hello Richard,

> On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 07:34  am, Serg Stoyan wrote:

> >> Yes, it is.  I noticed a while ago and in a private mail notified
> >> Serg Stoyan.
> >
> >   I'll return horizontal menu code back.
>
> That was not talking about horizontal menus ... it was referring to the
> bug in coding/decoding.

  Ok, I see now.

> >> Although I think that most people are aware of the policy of
> >> encoding format to my knowledge it is quite easy to be not
> >> aware of it.
> >> So to be fair, I think Serg just wasn't told and probably
> >> not aware of the policy.
> >
> >   What policy?
>
> Coding/decoding should *never* break backward compatibility.  Newer
> versions of the
> library should always be able to decode archives created by older
> versions.
> If this rule is not kept to, applications whose interfaces were created
> using one version
> of the library won't work with the next version as the interface will
> fail to load from the
> .gorm file!
>
> Not really a policy so much as common sense ... it's not a good idea to
> break backwards
> compatibilty at all, but in archiving it is particularly important as
> an error in one class will
> stop the entire archive from being loaded, and if that archive
> represents the entire user
> interface of an application then that disables the whole app!

  I see. Thanks Richard. Anyway I've got back horizontal menu code
  including encoding decoding part. So, if we'll decide to remove
  horizontal menu related code again, we should leave encoding/decoding
  part forever? Or maybe we should have policy placed on www.gnustep.org
  in "Developers" section?

--
Serg Stoyan