Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Serg Stoyan
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:34:18 +0300

Hello Willem,

> Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 11:24  am, David Ayers wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't looked into how it is broke, but please fix it, and then
> > > ask all app maintainers to update thier nibs which they have saved
> > > since it was broken, before they announce an official release, if
> > > they use gnustep cvs.
> >
> > Assuming it actually is broken (I haven't checked personally) I
> > emphatically agree.
>
> Yes, it is.  I noticed a while ago and in a private mail notified
> Serg Stoyan.

  I'll return horizontal menu code back.

> Although I think that most people are aware of the policy of
> encoding format to my knowledge it is quite easy to be not
> aware of it.
> So to be fair, I think Serg just wasn't told and probably
> not aware of the policy.

  What policy?

> This episode points to some problems in how GNUstep is developed.
> People writing code and bugfixes are not necessary people
> who are aware of all the intricatices and policies of GNUstep/OpenStep.
> And in my opinion we do not want to scare away people who
> are willing to devote time to improving GNUstep but are not
> old time NeXT steppers.  But I do not have a clear idea
> how to improve this situation.

  I think our primary goal is to reach OpenStep compliant, stable system.
  Improvements that doesn't fit well to OpenStep and NeXT UI should be
  not _ignored_ but _delayed_ for now. If we'll spend time to add features
  like horizontal menu, we never reach good shape.

  Anyway we obviously need policy that helps bring our mission statement to
  a life.

  "... superior development environment based on and inspired by the
   OpenStep standard developed by NeXT Computer Inc. (now Apple Computer
   Inc.) and the OPENSTEP implementation of this standard."

--
Serg Stoyan