Contributing code issues (was: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues)

From: Michael Hanni
Subject: Contributing code issues (was: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:11:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wim,

--- Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> This episode points to some problems in how GNUstep is developed.
> People writing code and bugfixes are not necessary people
> who are aware of all the intricatices and policies of GNUstep/OpenStep.
> And in my opinion we do not want to scare away people who
> are willing to devote time to improving GNUstep but are not
> old time NeXT steppers.  But I do not have a clear idea
> how to improve this situation.

I feel that I myself fall into this "clueless" newbie hacker group. At one
point, many years ago, I had a much better grasp on these intricacies, but
after putting GNUstep and other hacking projects aside to focus on academics
I'm basically useless. However, I do want to see GNUstep succeed and in my
spare time between work assignments I'd like to be able to make a
contribution... Even if it is a small one. :-)

To facilitate this I have been submitting code in the form of patches to the
bug-gnustep list -- as you well know, heh -- and waiting for comment. When
there are people to comment on the code and provide advice/pointers the
"helper" can make a real contribution. This helps guide contributors in the
ways of the force, err, in the overall design/policy of GNUstep.

Anyhow, just a passing comment.

Cheers!

Michael

=====