Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:34:40 +0200

Serg Stoyan wrote:

Hello David,

Hi Serg,

I'm sorry, I didn't gt into this earlier, but I was trying to keep out of gui related topics for now. Bad move, maybe.

Serg Stoyan wrote:
I think that a integration with the native desktop envirmenmt is important. Maybe it shouldn't be first proiority, and maybe not in the -gui library itself (I just don't know which approach is best). But I do think horizontal menues should be part of GNUstep.

 Why? Again, I don't against inclusion this code into GNUstep. I just want
 to hear any reason why we did so. Beacuse people want this? Ok. Is it
 official position of GNUstep developers to include any code that people
 want? Ok, I'll bring this back.
Thanks! ... Because we provide a "cross-plattform solution" and eventhough consistency with the plattform may not be number one priority, it should be evolved rather than removed.

 Ok, I'll include code related to horizontal menu into GNUstep until
 bundle (and theme support as general) is not implemented.

Great, thanks a lot! (Yet I was really hoping for the bundle, just to see how it would be done. But that can be left as a *FIXME* until someone has time to design it correctly.)

Cheers,
Dave

PS:

 Since GNUstep is free OpenStep implementation, this is not feature
 removal, but that's not problem.

Well, I like to think of GNUstep as having a /few/ more features than what is specified in OpenStep ;-) and as OpenStep was actually intended to be a cross plattform specification, I guess that not considering the issue here already could be viewed as a bug in specification, I guess.