Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:12:04 +0200

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 22:05 CEST, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>
wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2013, at 20:30, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > David Chisnall wrote:
> >> We currently publish this:
> >>
> >> http://www.gnustep.org/experience/examples.html
> >>
> >> But it doesn't seem to build anymore.  There's no link to the repository
> >> in the web page, and I can't find it in svn.  Is anyone planning or
> >> updating it, or should I just delete the FreeBSD port of it?
> >>
> > wait, inside the example there is Ink :) GFractal and GPuzzle work for me
> > too, I remember updating the latter, IIRC. GSTest compiled and worked no
> > longer than 2 weeks ago.
> >
> > I'll try, but if you can give what's wrong at your place we can keep them
> > from bittrotting (which would be good, even if you don't want the FreeBSD
> > package, potential user want working examples, broken ones are of no good).
>
> The errors I was hitting were in CalcBrain.m, which is doing the pre-NeXT
> thing of declaring instance variables inside @implementation contexts, which
> is now allowed in the non-fragile ABI for declaring private ivars and so
> results in an error with things being declared twice.

This CalcBrain.m problem is fixed in SVN, the rest is compiling fine.

> I think some of this stuff may have been fixed in svn, but there's been no
> release.  This is true of a great many things that we are shipping, in fact.
> Most of the things on the downloads page on the GNUstep web site don't
> actually build with the latest GNUstep release, which is quite embarrassing.

Yeah, that's also stopped me in the past to upgrade the GNUstep ports [1] in
OpenBSD to use clang/libobjc2 with non-fragile-abi.
Over the time, most of the the GNUstep ports in the ports tree build with the
new setup. The only remaining problems I have:
 * gnustep-examples (fixed in svn, but no new release)
 * matharray (from gnustep-non-fsf, non-fragile-abi problems, fixed in svn, but
no new release)
 * PDFKit (GAP, but this is marked as broken since xpdf upgrade to 2.03
anyways, so no real issue for me, but we're just discussing it with Riccardo
and Richard Stonehouse)
 * www/sope [2] , www/sogo [3] (using lots of old and deprecated functions, see
my bug reports, this is not fixed yet)

To upgrade the OpenBSD ports tree to use clang/libobjc2 with non-fragile-abi, I
could mark gnustep-examples and matharray as broken, but I don't want to do
that with www/sope and www/sogo. There are too many people out there having
SOGo instances deployed in production on OpenBSD, I don't want to make them
angry ;)

>From the sogo mailing list I know that there are some people working on a
>FreeBSD port for it. When you change to use clang/libobjc2 they will run into
>the same trouble like me on OpenBSD.
I can look up their e-mail addresses from the m/l if you want to get in contact
with them, if you aren't already.
Note that the patches to sope/sogo bug reports I had attached there, break
heavily. I have a better patch for sogo, but not yet uploaded, but sope is more
complicated to me.

cheers,
Sebastian

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/x11/gnustep/