Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:58:50 +0200

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 08:42 CEST, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>
wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2013, at 07:12, "Sebastian Reitenbach"
> <sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 22:05 CEST, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>
> > wrote:

> >> The errors I was hitting were in CalcBrain.m, which is doing the pre-NeXT
> >> thing of declaring instance variables inside @implementation contexts,
> >> which is now allowed in the non-fragile ABI for declaring private ivars
> >> and so results in an error with things being declared twice.
> >
> > This CalcBrain.m problem is fixed in SVN, the rest is compiling fine.
>
> Great!  Now we just need a release...
>
> >> I think some of this stuff may have been fixed in svn, but there's been no
> >> release.  This is true of a great many things that we are shipping, in
> >> fact.  Most of the things on the downloads page on the GNUstep web site
> >> don't actually build with the latest GNUstep release, which is quite
> >> embarrassing.
> >
> > Yeah, that's also stopped me in the past to upgrade the GNUstep ports [1]
> > in OpenBSD to use clang/libobjc2 with non-fragile-abi.
> > Over the time, most of the the GNUstep ports in the ports tree build with
> > the new setup. The only remaining problems I have:
> > * gnustep-examples (fixed in svn, but no new release)
> > * matharray (from gnustep-non-fsf, non-fragile-abi problems, fixed in svn,
> > but no new release)
> > * PDFKit (GAP, but this is marked as broken since xpdf upgrade to 2.03
> > anyways, so no real issue for me, but we're just discussing it with
> > Riccardo and Richard Stonehouse)
> > * www/sope [2] , www/sogo [3] (using lots of old and deprecated functions,
> > see my bug reports, this is not fixed yet)
>
> The Performance framework also doesn't build with the latest release of
> GNUstep, and we have at least one consumer of it in the ports tree.

Doh! Maybe I did my tests with performance from SVN, and did forgot about it,
but I'm fairly sure then that SVN version works.

> > To upgrade the OpenBSD ports tree to use clang/libobjc2 with
> > non-fragile-abi, I could mark gnustep-examples and matharray as broken, but
> > I don't want to do that with www/sope and www/sogo. There are too many
> > people out there having SOGo instances deployed in production on OpenBSD, I
> > don't want to make them angry ;)
> >
> >> From the sogo mailing list I know that there are some people working on a
> >> FreeBSD port for it. When you change to use clang/libobjc2 they will run
> >> into the same trouble like me on OpenBSD.
> > I can look up their e-mail addresses from the m/l if you want to get in
> > contact with them, if you aren't already.
> > Note that the patches to sope/sogo bug reports I had attached there, break
> > heavily. I have a better patch for sogo, but not yet uploaded, but sope is
> > more complicated to me.
>
> I did have SOGo building on FreeBSD with the non-fragile ABI about a year ago
> and I sent back the patches.  I don't know what the current status is.

Do you still have the patches around and could send them to me privately? I
could test those on my OpenBSD box against the latest releases of sope/sogo. In
case they did not made it into their repository, I'd attach then them to the
bug reports I have opened there.

thanks,
Sebastian