Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep Examples maintained?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:19:05 +0100

On 21 Aug 2013, at 08:03, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't spoken up before because I have no particular knowledge of most of
> what you mention, but I do know that the Performance framework builds fine
> with the latest release (and with trunk) on several platforms.  So if it's
> not building for you then that must be with some specific unusual setup.

The errors I see are:

 Compiling file GSCache.m ...
GSCache.m:503:1: warning: conflicting distributed object modifiers on return
      type in implementation of 'release' [-Wdistributed-object-modifiers]
- (void) release
^  ~~~~
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/Foundation/NSObject.h:180:1: note:
      previous declaration is here
- (oneway void) release NS_AUTOMATED_REFCOUNT_UNAVAILABLE;
^         ~~~~
GSCache.m:773:17: warning: incompatible pointer types assigning to 'NSLock *'
      from 'NSRecursiveLock *' [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
  allCachesLock = [NSRecursiveLock new];
                ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/Foundation/NSObject.h:363:1: note:
      class method 'new' is assumed to return an instance of its receiver type
      ('NSRecursiveLock *')
+ (id) new;
^
GSCache.m:857:32: warning: direct access to Objective-C's isa is deprecated in
      favor of object_getClass() [-Wdeprecated-objc-isa-usage]
  return class_getInstanceSize(isa);
                               ^
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/Foundation/NSObject.h:293:9: note:
      instance variable is declared here
  Class isa;
        ^
GSCache.m:913:16: error: use of undeclared identifier 'content'; did you mean
      'cgetent'?
      size += [content sizeInBytes: exclude] + [headers sizeInBytes: exclude];
               ^~~~~~~
               cgetent
/usr/include/stdlib.h:262:6: note: 'cgetent' declared here
int      cgetent(char **, char **, const char *);
         ^
GSCache.m:913:16: warning: receiver type 'int (*)(char **, char **, const char
      *)' is not 'id' or interface pointer, consider casting it to 'id'
      [-Wreceiver-expr]
      size += [content sizeInBytes: exclude] + [headers sizeInBytes: exclude];
               ^~~~~~~
GSCache.m:913:49: error: use of undeclared identifier 'headers'
      size += [content sizeInBytes: exclude] + [headers sizeInBytes: exclude];
                                                ^
GSCache.m:926:16: error: use of undeclared identifier 'name'
      size += [name sizeInBytes: exclude]
               ^
GSCache.m:927:12: error: use of undeclared identifier 'value'
        + [value sizeInBytes: exclude]
           ^
GSCache.m:928:12: error: use of undeclared identifier 'objects'
        + [objects sizeInBytes: exclude]
           ^
GSCache.m:929:12: error: use of undeclared identifier 'params'
        + [params sizeInBytes: exclude];
           ^
4 warnings and 6 errors generated.

They appear to be because it is directly accessing ivars that are not public
and not exposed from a category on GSMimeDocument (in the first instance, I've
not checked the subsequent ones).  If these ivars are expected to be used
outside of the GNUstep Base Framework, then they should not be hidden.  If they
are not expected to be used outside of the GNUstep Base Framework, then the
Performance framework has a bug that only shows up with the non-fragile ABI.

It fails after the first file, so I've not see what subsequent errors appear.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11