Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Wind

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 18:42:20 -0000 (UTC)

For your reference, records indicate that
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 February 2016 at 01:02, Svetlana A. Tkachenko
> <svetlana@members.fsf.org> wrote:
> > IMHO the goal of gnustep is being a platform which open-source mac apps
> > can be ported to so that people don't have to run a proprietary kernel
> > to use these apps.
>
> What? What an incredibly strange, narrow, weird goal.

There is nothing outlandish about wanting to use GNUstep to run
existing Cocoa apps.  If it is as narrow a goal as you say, it seems
like it should be subsumed under whatever larger vision there might
be for the project.

> I suggest that you need to learn the difference between a single goal
> (one shared aim that everyone works towards cooperatively) and your
> own personal primary purpose.

The purpose of this discussion is to see if there *is* a shared aim that
can be cooperatively achieved.  If there isn’t, the GNUstep project
should explicitly state that it will not welcome code or coders that
work with Apple platforms.

> What you describe is not even remotely connected with why I am
> interested in GNUstep. It is not on my top 10; it's not on my list at
> all.

And yet you don’t state the reasons for your interest, so you don’t
really add to the discussion of the bigger picture.

> And that is what FOSS is about. Different people scratching their own
> itches.

No, scratching itches is simply *one* possible starting point for a
project.  There is a vast graveyard of open source projects that never
go anywhere because they never strive to be *more* than ego-driven
coding.  Some of us still have hopes that GNUstep can escape that kind
of dead end.

> > Just like ReactOS is there for people to use Notepad++ without having to
> > purchase the proprietary OS.
>
> That -- that's /insane/.

That’s the world.  If reality seems insane to you, that’s *your* problem.
Seek professional medical help.

> I mean, who would ever do that?

People who have enough sense to *not* code something from scratch when
perfectly useful software already exists that solves the problem.  That’s
the reality when it comes to Mac and iOS software: it exists in volumes,
often with GNU licenses (or one’s even more free), and can serve as not
only a test for the completeness of GNUstep frameworks, but as a ready
introduction to large numbers of people who could contribute to the
project.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly