Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Wind

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Questions (was: Re: A Critique: Getting Started with GNUstep on Windows)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 17:46:16 -0000 (UTC)

For your reference, records indicate that
"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> IMHO,

All of the above was well said, and does echo my thinking.

> In my observation, there are two sides in this discussion:
>
> a) we do coding only for our own benefit. If others find this =
> beneficial, we are happy, but we do nothing for them, especially if they =
> demand. They can do themselves, because we need more manpower.
>
> b) we should learn about what others outside of our little world think =
> and need and do at least a little for them. This will attract these =
> "others" to really use what we do. And if we are lucky, there will be =
> good coders amongst them who start to contribute and we get more =
> manpower.
>
> I am not yet decided which side is the better one.

Here, to my thinking, there aren’t even two sides.  To me, the GNUstep
project should exist for a *reason* that is above our own personal ego
when it comes to coding.  Yes, we all code for our own benefit, but
part of that should include the professionalism to address outside
attention when it comes to the shortcomings in our code.  I don’t help
someone else when they submit a bug to me or request a feature, I help
*myself* become a better coder and I help *GNUstep* become a better
project.  I have no idea why people keep fighting against those benefits.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly