Re: Call to stop contributing

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Call to stop contributing
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 21:24:32 -0400

Umberto,

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 7:43 PM Umberto Cerrato <umbertocerrato@outlook.it> wrote:

> Il giorno 28 mar 2021, alle ore 00:10, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>

> Umberto,
>
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 6:56 PM Umberto Cerrato <umbertocerrato@outlook.it> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> “Hurting the project” ahah. Are you serious?
>
> What is this supposed to mean? Say what you really think, don't be shy.  If you have something derogatory or sarcastic to say, then say it out, don't hide behind innuendo.

My bad, I added it later. I am sorry if that sounded provocative.
Anyway, I thought “how can a bounce of emails hurt a long lasting project?”.
Eventually to me people matter. Not projects, neither code and stuff.

Ok, I apologize if my response came off as aggressive.  This thread is quite upsetting to me.  Ask anyone and I am usually very stoic, but I am very protective of GNUstep as I see it as my life's work.  It is something so near and dear to my heart that I get defensive when it's threatened.

Scott Christley (one of our early team members) once asked me at a conference, "If GNUstep died would you die too?"... I said "Yeah, a large part of me would die.  Probably the best part of me."  That is how much I love this project.  With all of my heart and soul.  Maybe this will help people understand me a little better.

> Anyway,
> I do want to spend some time to comment this.
>
> I think the person who came up with this issue did a good thing. It is very important to not focus just “on code”. We are not automata and it is instead very important to discuss each other (discuss-gnustep seems the right place to do it).
>
> Wrong. The purpose of this list is for discussions about GNUstep, not political hogwash.

If the issue is about GNU and the project is called “GNU”step, I think it does matter. Not sure though. Anyway discussion should be welcomed I think. But I do not know.

Sure it matters.  I am not a fan of mistreating anyone, but the fact of the matter is this: RMS was NOT condoning anything he was simply commenting on the use of certain words in the discussion itself.  Although I have only met Richard once, I have interacted with him from time to time over my many years on this project and I know he is extremely picky about such things.  I have seen him do it many times in emails to me and on the GCC list and other lists.  One of the reasons I have worked to perfect my written English is because of Richard. LOL

Let me propose an extreme example: Should everyone in the US give up the idea of being a country because George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and many of the founding fathers were slave owners?  Should we take away someone's legacy simply because of a misunderstanding or because they were accused of something or even if they were guilty?  The answer to both questions is no.

I have done some questionable things in my life.  Made mistakes... gotten in trouble.  Hell, I even spent a night in jail once for reasons I will not discuss here on the list. ;)  Should any of those things deny me a future?  No.

We correct our mistakes, we move on, we get better...

I don't think that by bringing RMS back that the FSF is implying that they are endorsing ANYTHING other than bringing back the man who FOUNDED THE MOVEMENT.  Nothing more or less than that.  Anything else is reading too much into it.

Best

With much love for this project and EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO USES OR CONTRIBUTES TO IT,

Yours,
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron