Re: Call to stop contributing

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Call to stop contributing
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 12:53:18 +0200

Hello everyone,

as I feel a little bit misunderstood I’d like to clarify some thoughts and - with your consent - finish this thread as well.

First I’d like to apologize if I hurt anyone. I chose clear words to trigger action, but I did not intend to hurt and I did not mean to formulate any personal objection as at all I am very grateful of how people interacted with me at this project.

Second I’d like to emphasize I did not mean to cancel anyone. I don’t want to do this and I do not like cancel culture as I am a friend of maybe controversial but sensible discourses.

Third I do not want to harm the project. As some of you know I invested quite some time to work on GNUstep software for the last two years and I do not want to harm my own work.

What I wanted to make clear is, that you (the GNUstep project) are harming yourself if you do not take action to clearify accusations that are formulated, but not clarified. Because in my opinion the GNUstep project clearly is associated to the GNU project and the FSF, even though some of the contributors may feel different about this.

Thus I personally do not accept the answer „this is just about code“, because it really is about people writing code. If there is any doubt that people writing code and/or being responsible for a project do not represent reasonable values and behaviour and are suspected to speak and behave in a way that harms a project, the project and the people responsible in it should clarify that issue or deliberate themselves from unexplained accusations.

I accept there are different attitudes towards this issue and I feel no anger about it and bear nobody a grudge.

But I do not want to see my name connected to such a position and I thus leave the project and this mailing list. I may return if things have progressed or are clarified.

I thank you for all the nice discourses we had and the many things I was able to learn through your helpful advice.

Farewell
Johannes