Re: evaluating numbers

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:46:21 +0700

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 16:26, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > For "discoverability" (or "cognitive gap reduction") purposes, I'd rather
> > have something like
> >
> > 1114111 (#o4177777, #x10ffff, t)
> >
> > 232 (#o350, #xe8, t)
> >
> > or something similar where t is the value of characterp for that integer
> > when the integer is above the value of
> > eval-expression-print-maximum-character.
>
> IMO, this would be extremely confusing.  We don't have any other APIs
> like that, and using characterp in this case, if appropriate, is very
> easy.

A non-confusing solution to the issue “I have a code point and I’d
like to know which character that is, but I don’t want Emacs to spend
time trying all fonts to see if any of them has a glyph” could be to
show the Unicode name for code points greater than
eval-expression-print-maximum-character and less than (max-char).

    232 (#o350, #xe8, LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH GRAVE)
    1114109 (#o4177775, #x10fffd, <Plane 16 Private Use>)