Re: html manual +css

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 17:03:38 -0500

> Ok, so I have something that works both ways:
>
> 1) when the display is wide enough to have the full horizontal menu, the
> menu is displayed horizontally and follows the scrolling.
>
> 2) when the display is not wide enough to have the full horizontal menu, the
> menu is displayed on the right side of the screen, as a list of links, with
> "icons" before the link names to hint at their use, and the menu sticks to
> its original position.

Looks great on my desktop, thanks,

> Would you mind checking if that works as you intended ?

It does.  I just now tried to look at the page from a phone and it looks
identical, which I guess is good (indeed in pixels, my desktop's browser
and my phone's browser (when the phone is in portrait position) have
about the same number of pixels), but it makes the site difficult to
read on my phone (I have to zoom on the various parts to read them ;-)
It's definitely no worse than what we currently have on gnu.org, tho!

It's more readable when I put my phone in landscape, but then this first
line menu ends up using a large fraction of my screen real estate so
I wouldn't want it to always stay on-screen.
[ I guess this is the only part which I could consider a regression
  compared to what we currently have on gnu.org.  And it's a result of
  what I asked for (and like) when reading on a desktop.  Oh well!  ]

To clarify: it's never occurred to me to look at such docs on my phone,
so it's probably not an important use case.

        Stefan "whose phone's browser has more pixels than his desktop's"