Re: html manual +css

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 09:45:27 -0500

> 1) to have mobile browsers recognize media queries related to the display
> size it is necessary to add a <meta> tag to the <head> that contains
> a reference to the "viewport" of the display:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/css/comments/eft71n/iphone_safari_does_not_respond_to_maxwidth_media/

I wonder why the HTML needs this and what it really means.
[ E.g. the name "device-width" makes it sound like it intends to reflect
  the physical size of the screen, whereas people watch their phone
  screen from a much shorter distance than their desktop screen, so we
  should pay attention to the "apparent size" rather than the physical
  size.  ]

> 3) then I put all that online and now the sample that I presented yesterday
> works perfectly well on a small mobile device, as you wanted.

Portrait mode now looks great, indeed, thanks.

In landscape mode, tho, the browser is wide enough that the top-header
fits on a single line and hence "sticks around" when you scroll, thus
eating up a lot of screen real estate (especially since phones nowadays
have an appalling aspect ratio, very far from the beloved 4:3).

        Stefan