Re: html manual +css

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:50:54 -0500

>> The MDN doc on viewport is here:
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mobile/Viewport_meta_tag
>>
>> The W3C is trying to port that directly to CSS but the spec is only a draft:
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-device-adapt/#the-viewport

So, IIUC in the long run we don't need to change the HTML because this
`meta` element is only a hack added by Safari and the corresponding
standard feature is not yet standardized but will likely put the
corresponding info in the CSS.

>> https://medium.com/@elad/understanding-the-difference-between-css-resolution-and-device-resolution-28acae23da0b

This page is pretty poor, not explaining what the "CSS pixel" is
supposed to represent; taking "browser provided data" as gospel ;-)

> Ok, it should work now, with the extra bonus that if your desktop browser
> window is not high enough, the behavior will be the same as landscape
> mobile: the menu will stay at the top of the page in "summarized" mode.
>
> @media (max-width: 40em), (max-height: 40em) and (orientation:landscape) {

It's indeed better but with one regression: now in landscape on my
phone, the top-line is spread as a "vertical menu" whereas it used to
fit on a single line.

        Stefan