Re: html manual +css

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 01:53:42 +0900

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 0:50, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> The MDN doc on viewport is here:
>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mobile/Viewport_meta_tag
>>>
>>> The W3C is trying to port that directly to CSS but the spec is only a draft:
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-device-adapt/#the-viewport
>
> So, IIUC in the long run we don't need to change the HTML because this
> `meta` element is only a hack added by Safari and the corresponding
> standard feature is not yet standardized but will likely put the
> corresponding info in the CSS.

Not really. The feature was added by Apple/mobile Safari because it was the
first to provide a full-browser application on a small screen but other vendors
are now using the feature and as the MDN site says:

> A typical mobile-optimized site contains something like the following:

So it's not targeting mobile Safari anymore but any standard browser on the
existing mobile platforms.

i.e., you'd see the same with Chrome on Android as you'd see on Safari/iOS.

For ex. this site gives screen sizes for all sorts of devices:
https://mediag.com/blog/popular-screen-resolutions-designing-for-all/

Regarding the "long run" remark, the CSS property has been proposed in 2011 and
the document is still a working draft with Firefox and Safari not supporting
the features (Chrome/Edge/Internet Explorer do). Also, the implementation seems
to try to copy Apple's original proposal... Politics !!!

So it looks like we're in for some time. Although I just asked extra info on
reddit regarding the state of the spec.

>>> https://medium.com/@elad/understanding-the-difference-between-css-resolution-and-device-resolution-28acae23da0b
>
> This page is pretty poor, not explaining what the "CSS pixel" is
> supposed to represent; taking "browser provided data" as gospel ;-)

:)

>> Ok, it should work now, with the extra bonus that if your desktop browser
>> window is not high enough, the behavior will be the same as landscape
>> mobile: the menu will stay at the top of the page in "summarized" mode.
>>
>> @media (max-width: 40em), (max-height: 40em) and (orientation:landscape) {
>
> It's indeed better but with one regression: now in landscape on my
> phone, the top-line is spread as a "vertical menu" whereas it used to
> fit on a single line.

You're right.

I split the query in two:

@media (max-height: 40em) and (orientation:landscape) {
  div.header {
      position: static;
      border-color: brown;
      width: fit-content;
  }
}

@media (max-width: 40em) {
  div.header {
      position: static;
      border-color: brown;
      width: fit-content;
  }

and if the landscape mode has enough width then it won't get the extra menu
modifications that are set by max-width.

Jean-Christophe Helary