Re: html manual +css

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 23:09:14 +0900

Stefan,

Ok, I've done it :)

1) to have mobile browsers recognize media queries related to the display size
it is necessary to add a <meta> tag to the <head> that contains a reference to
the "viewport" of the display:

https://www.reddit.com/r/css/comments/eft71n/iphone_safari_does_not_respond_to_maxwidth_media/

2) to add that to the texinfo output I had to tweak the makefile like this:

HTML_OPTS = --html --css-ref=emacs.css -c EXTRA_HEAD="<meta name=\"viewport\"
content=\"width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0\">"

3) then I put all that online and now the sample that I presented yesterday
works perfectly well on a small mobile device, as you wanted.

The modification I added to the CSS for displays that have a maximum width of
40 ems is visible in the @media part:

https://brandelune.github.io/code/emacs.css

Anyway, here are the links again:

Original:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Visiting-Functions.html

Sample:
https://brandelune.github.io/code/Visiting-Functions.html

It should look tremendously better on small displays now, and I'm sure there is
ample room for improvements (add different break points to target different
displays) but that sample should be enough to get the ball rolling, hopefully
somewhere :)

Let me know what you think.

JC

Jean-Christophe Helary