Re: html manual +css

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 13:17:10 -0500

>> https://medium.com/@elad/understanding-the-difference-between-css-resolution-and-device-resolution-28acae23da0b
>>
>> This page is pretty poor, not explaining what the "CSS pixel" is
>> supposed to represent; taking "browser provided data" as gospel ;-)
>
> The CSS pixel is defined in the CSS specification.
>
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#reference-pixel

Yes, yes, I'm aware of that.  But the above page was obviously written
for people who don't and their "explanation" just encourages the kind of
mindless web design where the "designer" tries it on a couple devices
and uses this as his "definition" of what can happen, rather than to
think about what he really wants to get in general (from which the right
behavior should derive naturally for "any" circumstance).

> Specifically, for screen devices, it recommends that 1px be an integer
> multiple of a device pixel that at the typical viewing distance yields
> the best approximation of a visual angle of a length of 1/96 inch at
> one standard arm’s length.

And of course, the best setting depends on the user's visual acuity,
which in turn can depend on circumstances ;-)

        Stefan