Re: Feature branches review please

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 13:50:26 -0500

> I don't think that embark is what I mean. Here is short screen how
> actions are implemented in Helm with TAB:
>
> https://gnu.support/images/tmp/2020-11-05-20:26:22.ogv
>
> I can then choose what to do on the selection instead of the default
> action. In Ivy actions are also there but with M-o
>
> If function icomplete-completing-read is not there, I still need to
> use external packages. It is more useful if it is there.
>
> How can I checkout that branch?

FWIW, such actions would be a great addition to the generic completion.
If done well, it could help unify a bit more Ivy, Helm, Icomplete, and
the default completion.  Currently in Icomplete there is a very limited
and ad-hoc support for actions in the form of the "kill" action when
selecting buffers.

I think we should try and generalize that.  If someone with experience
with Ivy or Helm actions would like to tackle that, that'd be great.
And if they feel like they don't know enough about the minibuffer.el
code for that, don't be afraid: I'd be happy to help.

        Stefan