Re: hyperscope

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: hyperscope
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 15:18:49 -0300

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 06:10, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> [2020-11-06 00:56]:
> > Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
> >
> > > Who can help me check out the icomplete-vertical branch that I may
> > > try? I am working on application Hyperscope that is based on
> > > Engelbart's work and it uses browsable tabulated-list-mode. Sometimes
> > > there are many choices, the list can be really long. Index of specific
> > > pages in PDF file can be thousands and thousands. Of course I have
> > > implemented incremental narrowing by using Helm and I wish to switch
> > > it to something built-in.q I wish to give those to GNU ELPA soon. But
> > > with focus on least number of packages from outside.
> > >
> > > Insight with some bugs:
> > > https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-05/2020-11-05-22:14:01.ogv
> >
> > That looks interesting.  It reminds me of Semantic Synchrony, an Emacs
> > project which seems to not be very well known.  This video in particular
> > reminds me of yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2vX2oZmUUM  See
> > also: https://github.com/synchrony/smsn
>
> Ineed it looks very similar by concept. I will study that. My system
> was meant primarily for me so that I can quickly pin point what I need
> in the index and jump to specific reference. It is like augmented
> bookmark system. Because it is database, once link type is defined
> there is no limit to it.
>
> Hyperscope is meant to:
>
> - dwell in eww buffer, press w and later just insert hyperlink with
>   good description
>
> - dwell in any browser, obtain reference and quickly enter into
>   database
>
> - obtain reference from online video or specific time when to play
>   video, and quickly enter database, or specific line in specific
>   file, to jump quickly there, or PDF specific page or specific search
>   term. Not all readers provide support for that.
>
> - to obtain specific mail reference and jump to that specific mail
>
> - use various indexes to enter into database, to quickly jump to very
>   specific places
>
> - to represent the database by various means, converting to Org is
>   easy, but it could as well be dynamically published on WWW, Gopher,
>   Gemini
>
> - to allow multi user knowledge information editing or revisions (no
>   idea how to make revisions yet), remotely
>
> - to allow connections to other databases, meaning that only database
>   is running on server and with permissions some people can view it
>   and some people can edit it.
>
> - to provide feature for any kind of hyperlinks
>
> - raise collective IQ
>
> For now I have these types of links:
>
>  Web
>  MPV play video at exact time
>  Local File
>  YouTube Video at exact time
>  YouTube Video
>  Dired Directory
>  Launch Program
>  Media
>  Info Node
>  PDF
> [...]

Hi Jean Louis,

do you have examples of the syntax of these links and of what we need
to make them work? I am especially interested in "MPV play video at
exact time", "Launch Program", "Media", "PDF by Page Nr." and "Set"...

I am asking because one of the topics of my talk at the next EmacsConf
(in a few weeks!) is how eev implements links to all these things,
and I want to compare eev's approach with other packages. See:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-pdf-like-intro.html
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-audiovideo-intro.html

I know org-player and org-pdftools, but I found them hard to set up.

Thanks in advance, I hope =),

  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html
  http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2020.html