Re: night-mode?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: night-mode?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 18:06:59 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> I think brain is used to look at things, to connect colours to some
>> semantic meaning, that is the purpose of syntax colouring (part
>> Solarize got correct because they don't change accent colours); and
>> suddenly you just pull it away and reconfigure everything. I am sure
>> it is not hard and happends uncoscious, but it still is extra work
>> for the brain; isn't it?
>
> I would say the same before just one year or two years, and
> preferences changed. For years I used colors in `mutt' and rejected
> ever using it plain black white. Colors helped me recognize quote
> levels, I could quickly locate pieces of information on screen. Since
> I removed all colors I find it pleasant and less disturbing without
> colors. And I would not say that I would ever enjoy simplicity before
> even one month.

> Now I can change to any built-in theme and it needs 2-3 seconds
> to accommodate the eyes and I am fine. But I do not change my default
> face, so more or less only colors change.
Isn't that what I am talking about :-). Brain needs a bit of time to
adapt.

> I would be using more EXWM if there would be no swapping
> problems or maybe memory leaks preventing me to use long sessions,
> bugs which are now being researched.

Indeed, I would really like to have everythign in same process, so I
could C-x C-b between other X11 windows just as I can between Emacs
buffers, but I am affraid of Emacs locking me out of desktop.

> Good, only that I do not have efficiency, I am mostlyu using T410 or
> T400 Thinkpad and maybe that is why. It is fast on desktop.
If you use an old laptop, shouldn't you bee worried about efficiency
even more? I mean as few extras and as tiny things as you can? My
current emacs init starts in around ~0.2 secs.