Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 11:07:12 +0000

Suppose we reserve one key for third-party packages. Let's refer to that key as C-α, to avoid specifying which key is chosen.

Various packages will set up their own bindings for it. If you load more than one such package, which package's bindings will you get? How do you get the ones you want?

This is something that should be left to packages. Org-mode would bind, say, C-α a, C-α c and C-α l, or perhaps C-α o a, C-α o c and C-α o l; Magit would bind C-α g and C-α M-g, or perhaps C-α g g and C-α g f; and so forth. There will be conflicts, of course, but only occasionally, and in those cases users would have to do something to resolve the conflict.

Here's an idea.

Have one command you can use to specify which package's bindings C-α will run. It could be C-α C-α; then individual packages will not give their own bindings for C-α C-α.

So you can type C-α C-α Foopkg RET, then C-α gives you the Foopkg bindings.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Would this mean that each time you want to use, say, Org-mode you would have to C-α C-α org-mode RET before typing C-α c? If so, I don't think this would work.