Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:11:41 -0500

       >> vc and Magit are two completely separate things to me (even though I
       >> do use vc to do git stuff as well).

       Alfred>    Most of Magit's commands don't need to be bound globally
anyway.

       Alfred> Then it makes even more sense to just pick a key under C-x v.

   I donʼt follow. Magit is used for magit stuff, from the magit-status
   window. If people want to use magit commands from other places, they
   can choose their own binding or use the magit recommended ones.

"magit stuff" is version control.

   vc is for abstracting away the differences between different
   version control systems, why would magit commands need to share a
   prefix with it?

'C-x v .' (e.g.) could be bound to an alternative viewer function that
would work depending on the repository, e.g., gitk for those who wish
to use that, kick of a URL action for viewing a fossil repository
using "fossil ui", or whatever.

See how this is a much more general solution to work with _any_
"viewer" (whatever you wanna call magit) than having it take up
keybindings that could be put to a much more general use than a
specialzied one.