Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:37:54 -0500

  > Since Magit is a VC like mode, wouldn't it make more sense to put it
  > under C-x v?  E.g., why cannot Magit rebind C-x v l -- which I guess
  > is similar to magit-status or possibly C-x v d.

I think you are suggesting that the key C-x v could be used both by VC
and by Magit.  That could make sense, if users generally use one or
the other.  There could be a command to switch C-x v to the VC
bindings and a command to switch it to the Magit bindings.

Or perhaps it can be selected by whether the current buffer uses
a vcs other than git.  The options of the global switch could be

* Always use VC
* Always use Magit
* Use VC when the current buffer is stored in a vcs other than git,
  otherwise use Magit.

The third one might need some new low-level keymap facility.

--
Dr Richard Stallman