Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:52:44 +0100

>   > > So you can type C-α C-α Foopkg RET, then C-α gives you the Foopkg
> bindings.
>
>   > That seems like an extremely valuable binding to sacrifice for a
>   > command which will most likely be only run once.
>
> Why do you think C-α C-α would be so valuable?  I don't get it.

Because it is easier to press the same key twice than another key.

See for example how many people support freeing C-z while keeping its
current behavior on C-z C-z.

> (This is supposing we have made C-α a prefix for use by external packages.)

I don't understand the suggestion anymore then. What would the
C-\alpha keymap look like? One package on C-\alpha a, one on C-\alpha
b, etc? Or just one on C-\alpha?

>   > But maybe we could agree on a specific key, identical on all keymaps,
>   > for that purpose. That would be similar to how C-\alpha ? is currently
>   > reserved for describe-keymap.
>
> How is that different from what I said?

The choice of a different second key than the prefix C-\alpha. Besides
keeping the valuable repeated binding free, it also allows to have the
same key across keymaps.