Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 05:42:52 -0500

Since Magit is a VC like mode, wouldn't it make more sense to put it
under C-x v?  E.g., why cannot Magit rebind C-x v l -- which I guess
is similar to magit-status or possibly C-x v d.

>From a users perspective, making it seemingly a part of VC-mode makes
more sense than trying to make it a special citizen that needs to take
C-x g (or whatever) since it would make it hard to use MaGit,
MaFossil, MaSubersion (last two are fictious) .... together.  Magit
only makes sense for a git repository, you might want to have C-x v l
(or some other status command) invoke the different "viewer".  If
Magit (e.g.) has other global bindings that make sense for version
control, those also make more sense to put under C-x v.

We already sorta do it with M-., M-, etc where a package can set up
the right variables to get the right tag jumping functions invoked.

Similarly, for e.g. Bookmark+ (Drew, not suggesting that you rebind
anything :), wouldn't it make better usage if those keybindings are
put under C-x r like the rest of the bookmark bindings?

I am just thinking as a user, where I could expect things to be; and
realise that this might not follow the current Emacs keybinding
policies.  It is strange to reserve a third party key, globally, for
usage where you cannot ever really know what that key does --
shouldn't such a key be up to the user?