Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 07:59:54 -0500

   An example of usage includes, for example, C-x g c - a c <enter a
   commit message> C-c C-c.
   This is the equivalent of git commit -a <enter commit message> C-x C-s
   C-x k RET.
   I can't see a 'vc-commit' function in C-x v, but if there was one, C-x
   g c would essentially replace it.

vc-next-action (C-x v v) does exactly that.

   Similarly C-x g P is a vc-push, C-x g F is a (hypothetical) vc-fetch,
   C-x g d is a vc-diff, etc.

C-x v P  vc-push
C-x v +  vc-update
C-x v =  vc-diff

So in the case of Magit, why should there be two bindings for two
version control modes?

   But I'm not claiming that rebinding C-x v to magit whenever we are in
   a git repository would be a good idea. :)

Maybe it is?  If magit is supposed to be a git-only replacement for
vc-mode, maybe that is exactly what it should do.  Or better yet,
integrate better with vc-mode proper.