Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 00:28:25 -0500

Suppose we reserve one key for third-party packages.  Let's refer to
that key as C-α, to avoid specifying which key is chosen.

Various packages will set up their own bindings for it.  If you load
more than one such package, which package's bindings will you get?
How do you get the ones you want?

Here's an idea.

Have one command you can use to specify which package's bindings C-α
will run.  It could be C-α C-α; then individual packages will not give
their own bindings for C-α C-α.

So you can type C-α C-α Foopkg RET, then C-α gives you the Foopkg bindings.

--
Dr Richard Stallman