Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:54:49 +0200

On 08.02.2021 00:05, Gregory Heytings wrote:

=Proposal=

It is proposed to repurpose one key, and to reserve it in the key binding conventions for third-party packages.  The keys that could be reserved for that purpose are:

Option 1. C-z, with a single exception: "C-z C-z" would be bound to "suspend-frame"

Option 2. C-z and M-z, with two exceptions: "C-z C-z" would be bound to "suspend-frame", and "M-z M-z" to "zap-to-char"

This won't fly because a lot of us bind 'C-z' to 'undo' (or a similar command), and special-casing 'C-z C-z' would break that usage (calling 'undo' several times in a row is common).

Finally, like Stefan K said in another thread, if we even end up changing the 'C-z' binding, let's finally make it compatible with most other editors out there, which is putting 'undo' on it. Or 'undo-only'.

And as a maintainer of multiple packages, I have lost track of how many times I switch to 'emacs -Q' to reproduce some bug report, and then end up suspending the frame by accident.

Option 3. C-o, with a single exception: "C-o C-o" would be bound to "open-line"

Option 4. C-o and M-o, with two exceptions: "C-o C-o" would be bound to "open-line", and "M-o M-o" to "facemenu-keymap"

I'd prefer to keep 'C-o' as-is, but admittedly it's a less important binding.