RE: [External] : Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to inte

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 22:31:03 +0000

> I think that in the long term, taking care to not
> make simple things like making a command for a
> mode too arduous, is important.

I may be missing something, but is making a command
for a mode arduous now (before your recent changes)?
Just what's hard about it?  Haven't we all been
making mode-specific commands painlessly forever?

Is it possible that you have a new hammer and are
looking for nails to use it on?  I know you said,
you're now seeing nails everywhere.

But that's precisely the symptom of Hammeritis,
akin to a pregnant woman noticing that there are
pregnant women everywhere she looks.

Or perhaps your "nails sticking out all over the
place" was just another joke, not a statement that
you think there's really a great need for this new
feature - that there really are lots of nails
sticking out, needing hammering?

> And again, I don't see what makes extending
> `interactive' so special here.  We introduce
> new things in Emacs Lisp all the time when we
> think that that improves the language.

... for some definition of "new things", "we",
and "all the time".