Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:20:29 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 23:55:23 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> > Other people disagree with your judgment, here.

> And some agree.

One of those people questioning that judgment is Eli Zaretskii, the
chief maintainer of Emacs.

> > I explained that in my post from Sun, 14 Feb 2021 15:03:53 +0000.  You
> > ignored that post, as you have ignored so many posts questioning your
> > new scheme.  Instead you've ploughed ahead with the changes, without
> > waiting for the desired consensus.

> I have posted more than 50 posts about this in the last few days, but I
> haven't responded to all messages

Many of these posts merely responded to the points made without
answering them.  In fact, some of them were downright evasive, including
at least some to Eli from this evening.  Why did you not deal with these
points before hacking master?

> -- especially since Stefan K had already rebutted the points in your
> post.

He did no such thing.  He expressed a view contrary to mine, and I'm not
sure he even understood what I was saying.  His posts lacked the
customary semantic redundancy that would allow a proper discussion to
have developed.  Indeed, it seemed clear he wasn't leaving any opening
for such a discussion.

But my points have not been answered properly.  You are the person
driving these far-reaching changes.  Why are you evading scrutiny of
them?  Why are you making these changes on master rather than in a
branch?  It seems you want to present a fait accompli without the
consensus.  Why?

Why are you treating Eli with such disrespect?

Again, I ask you, what sort of project do you want Emacs to be?  Do you
value the respect and consensus which has been prevalent up to now, or
are you trying to supplant it with something else?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).