Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:19:42 +0200

On 17.02.2021 10:50, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

On 17.02.2021 00:00, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
And again, I don't see what makes extending `interactive' so special
here.  We introduce new things in Emacs Lisp all the time when we think
that that improves the language.

You're extending it in an incompatible way, one that most third-party
code won't be able to make use of for years to come.

I don't think the second half of this sentence is correct.  Please see
my compatibility macro `future-interactive' posted to this list.

You're right, so strictly speaking, someone who really likes the new 'interactive' form, can use it. At the cost of minor inconveniences like having to depend on an extra package, some grepping disadvantages and whatever potential issue with 'edebug' that Stefan mentioned.