Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:41:15 -0500

I have not been following this discussion, and the following
suggestion might have been rejected already, or might have some
obvious flaw.  I post it because it sounds like this idea
has not been considered.

It seems that the aim is to help people find M-x commands that make
sense in the current major mode, by excluding from completion those
that don't make sense.  If so, why should that interfere with invoking
a command by typing its name?

I suggest making RET let you execute any valid command if you have
entered its exact name.

In addition, if you do completion and the existing input string
matches nothing that is marked as meaningful, I suggest it could
complete based on the commands that are not marked as meaningful.

Another idea: If you have made a listing of possible completions from
names marked meaningful, typing TAB or ? could replace that with a
full list of possible completions (meaningful or not), and each
successive TAB or ?  could toggle between the two.

--
Dr Richard Stallman